DiCaprio promises to return "dirty" money
Representatives of Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio contacted the Justice Department in July immediately after the government alleged some money embezzled from a Malaysian government fund financed his film “The Wolf of Wall Street,” his spokesman said Tuesday, according to The Wall Street Journal.
The comments are the first from Mr. DiCaprio’s camp since the Justice Department filed civil forfeiture suits against luxury real estate, artwork and other assets purchased with allegedly stolen funds from 1Malaysia Development Bhd. by a cast of characters including Malaysian financier Jho Low, who was a friend of Mr. DiCaprio’s.
They also come in the wake of protests from Switzerland’s Bruno Manser Fund, a rain-forest charity, which called earlier this month for Mr. DiCaprio to explain his ties to the alleged fraud or step down from his position as a United Nations “Messenger of Peace for Climate Change.”
According to the fund, DiCaprio received money from controversial businessman Jho Low and Riza Shahriz Bin Abdul Aziz, the stepson of the Malaysian prime minister, Najib Razak – both figures named in a justice department asset seizure complaint and connected to the 1MDB sovereign wealth fund.
- 17:0018.1171618.11.2016 | World7160China rushes to create its own free trade zoneChina intends to promote the idea of the creation of the Asia-Pacific free trade zone.
- 17:2017.1165917.11.2016 | World6590In what way Greek small and medium-sized businesses conquer the world's marketsEuropean business support network helps Greek start-ups.
- 13:3016.1168416.11.2016 | World6840Economy of Italy: it's not so badThe volume of industrial production of the third economy of euro zine decreased less than expected.
- 11:0614.1172414.11.2016 | World7240The unemployment rate in the US is decreasedThe US unemployment rate in October amounted to 4.9%.
- 10:5709.1171509.11.2016 | World7150BMW profit is assured by steady sales in Europe and ChinaNet profit of Bayerische Motoren Werke has grown by 15.3% in the third quarter.
- 12:5204.1167704.11.2016 | World6770Samsung's profit decreased by 30%The company's profit amounted to $4.6 billion.
- 17:0003.1169203.11.2016 | World6920Deutsche Bank reported a profit in the third quarterThe net profit of Deutsche Bank in the third quarter amounted to 278 million euros.
- 17:0002.1176602.11.2016 | World7660France's economy in the 3rd quarter: the growth is in slow paceFrance's economy has added 0.2% compared to the previous period, but rose less than expected.
16:5807.124627Investors' coming to coal industry seems impossible 14:3707.124477Kyivstar got new CEO 16:1206.124353FUIB afforced Supervisory Board 13:5406.124016Chinese allowed to enter PFTS's capital 15:3305.124413New Memorandum on cooperation with IMF is approved 11:1705.124448Ukrainian Exchange admitted bonds of Alfa Bank and OTP Bank to trading 16:0704.124047Ihor Mitiukov was reselected as NDU's Supervisory Board Chairman 12:5504.123779VAT refund has increased by 12% since January 2018 15:1003.124402EBRD, EIB and WBG launch enterprise survey 12:0703.124057Ukraine is in top three countries by frequency of systemic banking crises