Raiffeisen Bank Aval - godfather of the banking system
The history of the largest bank in Ukraine, the "blue chip", recognized as the best in Eastern Europe.
Chronicles of the leader inception
Raiffaisen Bank Aval was established and registered with the National Bank of Ukraine in March 1992 as Open Joint Stock Company "Joint Stock Commercial Bank "Aval" in March 1993, and in 1993, it received a license to perform currency transactions. In 1994, the financial institution changed its name: having passed the re-registration, the bank was renamed to Joint-Stock Postal and Pension Bank "Aval".
1995 was remarkable by the receipt of accreditation, which made implementing of EBRD (the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development) projects possible. In 1996, the bank became member of international payment systems Europay and Visa. Nowadays, of course, this seems to be taken for granted. At the end of the last century, in 1999, "Aval" became one of the participants in State Guarantee Fund, which is also not surprising practice for today.
In 2002, the bank's authorized capital reached those days Ukraine record - 500 million UAH
Bank's pension orientation was rewarded: in 2001, Raiffeisen Bank Aval became the first bank in Ukraine to introduce pensions payment with a plastic card ("Onix Pensiynyi"), as well as its own system of urgent money transfers "Aval-Express".
Not by merits and products alone... A year later, authorized capital of the bank reached the highest mark in the history of Ukrainian banks - 500 million USD, and "Aval" entered the top 100 banks in Central and Eastern Europe according to Standard & Poor's rating.
In the meantime, in 2002, the bank issues bonds amounted to 80 million USD.
In 2004, the bank achieved a record amount of authorized capital totalling more than 1 billion UAH.
Ownership changes chronicles
M&A-deal between the financial institution and European banking group with headquarters in Austria, Raiffeisen Bank International AG is used as case-study on bank assets sale-purchase. This operation is, in fact, broke the ice for such acquisition of domestic banks by foreign institutions.
In 2005, Raiffeisen Group bought 93% of "Aval", having paid 1 billion USD.
Thus, omitting the details, in August 2005, Raiffeisen Group purchased 93% of "Aval", having paid 1 billion USD, and then another 28 million USD - for the processing center. As a result, since October 2005 the bank has been considered to be the part of Raiffeisen Bank International holding group, and in September 2006, the bank was renamed into Open Joint Stock Company "Raiffeisen Bank Aval". By the way, according to the legal requirements, in 2009 the bank changed its legal name and became public joint stock company.
And in 2015, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development has joined the composition of bank's shareholders.
Today, Austrians own slightly more than 87% of the bank's capital.
More information about owners of the financial institution, its exchange rates, reporting data can be found in our section company's profile.
Changes of quotations shares of the Bank (ticker - BAVL) can be monitored in the weekly category by StockWorld "Data on the leading trading companies in Ukraine. Weekly changes in blue chips indices"
- 12:4515.092713515.09.2016 | Did you know271350The market of direct and venture investments in Ukraine: figures, facts, trends. Part 2.Global and Ukrainian trends and indicators in the field of investment.
- 10:1214.092730414.09.2016 | Did you know273040The market of direct and venture investments in Ukraine: figures, facts, trendsHow has the field of venture capital investment existed during recent years
- 19:0031.082721231.08.2016 | Did you know272120"Hello" from the Mermaid, or how securities market of Denmark is organizedHow Danish stock market, one of the oldest in the world, exists and operates.
- 15:1003.082723903.08.2016 | Did you know272390Line - the first messenger on IPOThe history of initial placement of Line messenger.
- 10:0003.072768203.07.2016 | Did you know276820Chief Metallurgist of Ukraine, or a history of "Azovstal"Not a "blue chip" anymore, but is still the leader of Ukrainian metallurgy.
- 18:3006.062757906.06.2016 | Did you know275790NDU Rebranding: what, how much and whyNational Depository of Ukraine changed the logo and corporate identity
- 18:4502.062745902.06.2016 | Did you know274590Raiffeisen Bank Aval - godfather of the banking systemThe history of the largest bank in Ukraine, the "blue chip", recognized as the best in Eastern Europe.
- 10:2025.052726925.05.2016 | Did you know272690UAE: down from a mall, straight to the ballAbout the UAE's stock market - the country which has more oil than water.
16:5807.123332Investors' coming to coal industry seems impossible 14:3707.123087Kyivstar got new CEO 16:1206.123052FUIB afforced Supervisory Board 13:5406.122804Chinese allowed to enter PFTS's capital 15:3305.123209New Memorandum on cooperation with IMF is approved 11:1705.123215Ukrainian Exchange admitted bonds of Alfa Bank and OTP Bank to trading 16:0704.122817Ihor Mitiukov was reselected as NDU's Supervisory Board Chairman 12:5504.122591VAT refund has increased by 12% since January 2018 15:1003.123177EBRD, EIB and WBG launch enterprise survey 12:0703.122834Ukraine is in top three countries by frequency of systemic banking crises