Punishment in American style: TOP defaulters from the SEC
StockWorld.com.ua reported last week about the largest disclosure of crimes in the US stock market. So, the whole world had known that Barclays and Credit Suisse would pay to regulators $154 million as a fine for violating federal securities laws, in particular, for operating alternative trading systems known as dark pools. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the New York Attorney General’s office announced that they have reached an agreement with the banks about the arrangement of the regulator’s claims.
According to the SEC, the total fine for Barclays amounts to $ 70 million. Credit Suisse will pay to regulators $84.3 million. It is the largest fine for banks for providing the services to clients about anonymous
The total fine for Barclays amounts to $ 70 million. Credit Suisse will pay to regulators $84.3 million. It is the largest fine for banks for providing the services to clients about anonymous OTC trading.
OTC trading. According to the investigation, Barclays and Credit Suisse for a long time disguised the information about the use of funds under the dark liquidity pools, as well as functioning of the OTC platforms, in particular, in mechanisms of getting information, orders handling and other issues.
StockWorld using data of Securities and Exchange Commission has researched the history of the major investigations against participants of American securities market, as well as the sky-high amount of the sanctions imposed against them. Who, how and why paid the fines you can read in our review.
Before the case of Barclays and Credit Suisse, the «leaders» in «the largest penalty» category were the companies ITG INC (dark pool operator) and ALTERNET SECURITIES (affiliated broker-dealer). Law enforcement officers had imposed a sanction against them in the amount of $20.3 million for the operation of a secret trading desk that accessed confidential data about dark pool customers. This case took place in August 2015.
In January 2015, the SEC fined UBS SECURITIES LLC for the fact that the investment bank did not inform all clients about an order type that gave advantage to orders from market makers and high-frequency traders. The amount of the settlement was $14,4 million.
Every such fine from the SEC grows and grows from case to case.
Previous two cases happened in the summer 2014. So, in July, the regulator punished LAVAFLOW INC. (CITIGROUP UNIT and the ATS operator) for failing the protection of customers by allowing the affiliate to access and use those customer’s confidential trading information. The amount of the settlement was $5 million. In June LIQUIDNET Inc. failed to protect dark pool by allowing marketing and sales employees access to the customers’ confidential trading data. It costed $2 million.
For the same offense was punished another company eBX LLC in October 2012. The penalty imposed, by the SEC, was $0,8 million.
A year earlier, in October 2011, PIPELINE TRADING SYSTEMS LLC had been convicted by a regulator in misleading dark pool customers about how the trading platform would match their orders. The amount of the settlement was $1 million.
As we can see, every such fine from the SEC grows and grows from case to case. It is very interesting, when Ukrainian regulator will be able to apply such high-scale penalties towards violators of securities laws.
- 12:4515.092874715.09.2016 | Did you know287470The market of direct and venture investments in Ukraine: figures, facts, trends. Part 2.Global and Ukrainian trends and indicators in the field of investment.
- 10:1214.092891814.09.2016 | Did you know289180The market of direct and venture investments in Ukraine: figures, facts, trendsHow has the field of venture capital investment existed during recent years
- 19:0031.082883431.08.2016 | Did you know288340"Hello" from the Mermaid, or how securities market of Denmark is organizedHow Danish stock market, one of the oldest in the world, exists and operates.
- 15:1003.082886503.08.2016 | Did you know288650Line - the first messenger on IPOThe history of initial placement of Line messenger.
- 10:0003.072936403.07.2016 | Did you know293640Chief Metallurgist of Ukraine, or a history of "Azovstal"Not a "blue chip" anymore, but is still the leader of Ukrainian metallurgy.
- 18:3006.062919906.06.2016 | Did you know291990NDU Rebranding: what, how much and whyNational Depository of Ukraine changed the logo and corporate identity
- 18:4502.062907602.06.2016 | Did you know290760Raiffeisen Bank Aval - godfather of the banking systemThe history of the largest bank in Ukraine, the "blue chip", recognized as the best in Eastern Europe.
- 10:2025.052887825.05.2016 | Did you know288780UAE: down from a mall, straight to the ballAbout the UAE's stock market - the country which has more oil than water.
16:5807.125204Investors' coming to coal industry seems impossible 14:3707.125074Kyivstar got new CEO 16:1206.124926FUIB afforced Supervisory Board 13:5406.124556Chinese allowed to enter PFTS's capital 15:3305.124964New Memorandum on cooperation with IMF is approved 11:1705.124989Ukrainian Exchange admitted bonds of Alfa Bank and OTP Bank to trading 16:0704.124596Ihor Mitiukov was reselected as NDU's Supervisory Board Chairman 12:5504.124317VAT refund has increased by 12% since January 2018 15:1003.124953EBRD, EIB and WBG launch enterprise survey 12:0703.124604Ukraine is in top three countries by frequency of systemic banking crises